The top of The Shard is well established at the best viewing platform in London. It’s the highest publicly accessible point in the whole UK and its location right in the centre of London means you can enjoy stunning views of the entire city.
But when is the best time to visit the view from the shard? The view at night is completely different compared to day time and you might struggle to decide which you would prefer. Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of each and I’ll let you decide at the end.
View from the Shard daytime
- On a clear day you’ll be able to see up to 40 miles in every direction.
- Most of London’s historic buildings will be clearly visible in detail.
- The sun reflecting off glass building can make for a dazzling view.
- You’ll be able to see the river Thames and it’s many curves
- A higher chance of poor weather, particularly early in the morning
- Can be harder to take pictures if the sun is reflecting off the windows.
View from the Shard night time
- London lit up at night look truly spectacular and has a real wow factor.
- Some buildings, such as Tower Bridge and the London eye, have special lighting effects that can only be seen at night.
- A more sophisticated atmosphere can be had during the evening.
- Buildings further than a few miles away can’t be seen in detail.
- Difficult to get a clear picture unless you have a good camera.
So what’s the verdict? If you are interested in seeing London’s thousands of buildings in detail and to get the clearest view possible, go during the day. If you are more interested in a ‘wow’ moment, go at night.
Truly the best time to go is just before sun set; you get the best of both worlds by watching the transition of day to night. These tickets often sell out first so be sure to book way in advance if this is what you want.
Click the button below to book your tickets, they are the cheapest available!Buy Shard Tickets
Can’t choose between day and night?
There is also the option to buy special Day and Night tickets which allow you to go back twice in one day and see both views.Day and Night Tickets